Monday, May 30, 2005

Another Pain

There are frequent references to pain
and anguish, anxiety and perhaps fear.
Whether these are more companioned in a poet
is hard to say -- or by saying,
a willingness to share
what is of everyman.

Here is a slightly different view ...

PLANE

Take me there -
A request born of love? Jealousy? Curiosity? Insanity?

It is said the balance of self extends across a fulcrum of uncertainty,
and teeters up into exaltation - down into shadows of despair.

Such is a false design and perception -
The pendulum swings from far out to deep within,

and close resembles the prayerful search
for understanding of will and self
to which all men aspire.
But the swing does not mark a steady beat,

or stretch of time, or centered pulse.
No - often the ends remain
,
and it is the center that swings instead.

Consider a runway

lit from the sides by the harsh lights of a thousand vehicles;
each containing a stranger
whose visage cannot be perceived behind the blinding glare --
each shouting for attention lost in a wash of shrieking pain.
To be driven to walk
that path with fear that a plane may land at any minute!
Then the end is reached in marsh, or sea, or rocky shoal.

The return!

The lights are out and one must grope along in the dark.
The faces cannot be seen but the shadowy forms sit silent
-- giving no support. Is the demand no less?

Take a pill -- get some help -- it will go away.

Now to crawl that same demanded run.

The lights cannot be seen, for sure,
as one's face is now directed to the ground
where the horizon cannot be seen
but minute pebbles, worms and weeds are ever present.
Pick up the litter one by one --
stones and sticks and human trash placed into your rucksack.
Crawl on while helpful voices tell that all is better now.
Wait until that sack is so full
that it breaks your back and pushes your face into the mud.

Find a way to empty the sack

so that the journey can start again.
Crawl -- crawl on while love is lost
because you cannot hold up your head enough to see.
Remember the lights -- the dark.
Remember that when the plane arrives
you will be destroyed whether up or down --
you cannot run away!

At least when striding tall you were a man!


faucon

2 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"Whether these are more companioned in a poet is hard to say -- or by saying, a willingness to share what is of everyman."

I believe the real answer is both. Yes, I think sensitives (and poets are very often sensitives, by nature) actually experience more pain. Pain in all forms, physical, intellectual, emotional and spiritual. I think it is also true that poets and writers are able to give form to and speak of that which others experience, but don’t ‘record.’

My rucksack of pain and I
Companions of unbroken tie
Never lightened, never gone
Days are heavy, nights are long
No help’s enough, pills just delay
And it never goes away
Its there in everything I do
A constant part of every view
Because it’s always in plain sight
It leaks into the words I write
As does my love of earth and sky
My children’s shadows,words that fly
Imagination which transcends
The trails and triumphs of my friends
Colors,memories,your occasional elf
A love of learning,love itself

But if that plane is coming down
And the pain has got me on the ground
My compensation to the tall-striding plan
Has to be . . . I never was man

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger maya said...

I'm an ultra "sensitive" by nature, which is both a blessing and a curse. Sensitives do not fare well in a dog eat dog world. Would I choose to be less so if I could have designed my own soul? Sometimes I wish it. However, that same sensitivity allows me to be compassionate and fully able to reach out to others. The expression "feeling your pain" seems somewhat trite and new-agey but it's what poets do well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home