Monday, June 27, 2005

Tribal Memory

As I sit by my newly created pools, flume and water fall -- just listening to the tinkling waters of the eversong -- I am drawn to remember other pools -- other magical water kisses in my life.

This is quite special...

faucon
.............................

TRIBAL FAMILY

Many years ago I had an opportunity to do work on an Indian Reservation in Nevada, mostly related to setting up a photo lab in conjunction with their tribal history training. It was a small location, perhaps 90 members eking out a meager existence from withered crops, scrawny cattle and minimum water resources. I shared their community/family embrace for three days. It changed my life.


Several 'anomalies' immediately came to the fore; differences between their attitude toward life, strangers and spirituality from what I had known before. There were no fences -- anywhere. Their language had no pronoun "I", except in secret spiritual rites. Children were raised by the entire community and were identified by 'pet names' taken from nature. I was called 'Wa Nee Poto' -- "one who lives in a horse", since I came in a small motor-home. I camped next to an incredibly beautiful 'Morning Glory' natural hot-spring pool. There I could enjoy a late-night 'dip' and watch the sun rise through fragrant mists and chirp of hidden birds. Ah-yes! I also watched as family groups came down to the pool in the evening, reserved at first, but not wary. I was amazed how the children acted -- absolute obedience! A year old child could be left near the bank clutching a root -- completely safe because it would never leave until told. The baby could swim, I was to learn -- underwater and on its back -- like a fish. I ate and read in silence -- except to whistle as always. They watched, as did I.

On the second day an old man came -- no title or special dress. He feigned interest in my 'horse' and talked of the lack of rain that spring. I had been raised right. I hunkered down and picked up a fistful of dirt -- smelled it -- breathed deeply -- poured it onto the ground, and brushed it smooth with a twig. He told me about the fences -- how they believed that it was allowed to create temporary enclosures in order to protect things within -- new crops, cattle and possibly ill persons. However, nothing was ever fenced out! It was not their land, after all -- nor did they own the animals or plants -- they simply shared an existence and 'brightness'. 'City-folk' often came to picnic there and left trash -- they did not complain. A puma might steal a cow -- they never hunted it. A lightning storm might fire the slope -- they danced in the rain. And in everything, the family stood together, even in speech, as 'we' was their only form of speech. Then the 'chief/shaman?' picked up a pebble from near the pool and placed it on the cleared spot by my feet, Then he took another from his pouch and placed it beside the first. When I looked up he was gone!

The children came then. I taught them games from my youth -- told them stories -- learned a new form of 'tag'. On the last day every able bodied person in the tribe went on a round-up. I could not ride well because of my broken back, and was gifted to watch the children -- and the water gates. Moveable wooden platforms needed to be shifted in order to divert the meager stream into irrigation channels. I was given no instruction -- just followed my instincts -- knowing that I (we?) could make no mistake. I taught the children how to make 'heart baskets'; fragile grass nets that one would place over their heart and then give to another. When it later dried it would be thrown into an evening fire -- this a legacy from my Algonquin ancestry. I took away much more from this 'family'.

They asked and learned nothing of my religion, politics or attitudes about the 'outside' world. This was more than 30 years ago. I could go back today and give them my departing ritual name -- 'No Clee Washa'. A story would be told and I would be accepted -- even if no one of my friends is still alive -- such is the value of verbal tribal history! They build no fences -- base all of their judgments of another on observed actions and kindness. They exclude no one from their lives and fellowship. A friend is not forever -- (no word for that either) -- there is only 'we'. I heard a lot of laughter -- never saw a tear.

A month later I built a fire and sent twenty 'basket prayers' into the night air. The only chant I knew to say was to repeat my tribal name --
'Singing Grass Child'.

1 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger maya said...

What an exquisite memory, faucon. Some of my family members have taken to mocking me lately for heeding the (recent) call of my native ancestors. I'm a solitary practioner of some spiritual traditions. I collected sacred stones and feathers before I knew why I was compelled to do so. My home has always been in the wood. It makes sense to me now. So let them laugh. I'll take my walking stick and pouch and walk those trails, knowing full well where I came from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home