Monday, April 11, 2005

Prophecy

Milk writes its sad signature in a glass
through which the rest of your life is illuminated,
like a manuscript that has been labored over
and ornamented, driving one monk to madness
and three others to blindness.
This is not what you supposed or intended,
but it is what you read from your open palm,
from the way the sheets on your bed wrinkle,
from the prophecy of crows,
from the reading of leaves rotting into the earth.
Some day you may return here
to try to understand how it came to be,
but the elder stones will not discuss
their runes in the light of day.

2 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Now, I love this Mike. I have often thought that opening line ~ without knowing I was thinking it of course. Milk does look so sad in an empty glass and it seems full of portent to me. I am fascinated by poetry that states a thought which our mind had not ever even found words. What follows in your poem is truth, regardless of the method you use, the stones will not discuss their runes and most things are not what you supposed or intended.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

a life illuminated, like a manuscript, through milk stains on an empty glass? Why couldn't I think of something like this? And then the silent elder stones! I like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home