Friday, May 20, 2005

Shorts

Here are a few that I found which meet the criteria, I think. It seems, perhaps, that the brevity does, indeed, bring on the irony - or bring out the irony. Perhaps.



Wings

Open up infinity
Before the past was broken
Masked by stars, beloved
The Merlin comes in token
That vision is awakening
That the dream has woken



November Blue


I used to wait and wilt for Spring
The winter grown too long
I ached for every greenish thing
And for the robin’s song

Now winter quenches yearning
With nothing to pursue
Earth's blessing softly turning
A bare November blue



You play people like a six string
With a talent deft as whine
Such skillful art your message:
I. Me. Mine.



Leo rising
Brimming full the indigo sky
Flush with gushing golden fire
Radiant phoenixcal rising
The moon is bright with ashes
The Lion is reborn
With wild wings of wind



It all comes down to Dylan
A cosmic fact that’s true
All things are blowing in the wind
And add up to forty two



Bullwhip

words, she uses, whisk
snap, crack
like the flick of a bullwhip
could take a pimple off the
ass of a dilettante at thirty paces

why does she tell me the truth
as if it were the cool earths core?

bitch

3 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Shorts have a magic of their own. A story told in full, Winnie, with few words that allow the reader to expand the plot in his or her own way. One reason, I think, that I enjoy Haiku.

Vi

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger maya said...

Winnie
You've revealed another dimension of your personality,in two of your shorts,that I appreciate.
You and other posters here have a large volume of work to call on for these exercises. ...Sigh.
I confess it took me hours to compose my first Fitzgerald! Writing a new short poem should be easy for me because I tend to use words sparingly as a general rule. Hopefully, my new effort will appear shortly!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Vi, I absolutely agree. There is a different kind of magic in a short poem. I like your idea that it is because it allows readers to expand the plot in their own way. I also love Haiku and this is part of the reason.

Thank you faucon, (and Lady Em) for this suggestion.

Maya, it is true that some of us have back files where we can fish up already finished poems when something reminds of something or to answer a question or challenge. It is, in truth, a little inequitable. However, one of the best things about this site, for me, is that I am constantly being inspired to write new things.

I also had major fits with the rebound-synergy Fitz that I wrote from a line of your original. I would be mega embarrassed if anyone had any idea how long that first one took. I like that whole concept behind these extrapolated poems. I like it enough that I’m wondering about starting a Blog just for Fitz generation. I am truly, completely amazed that in my late life I would turn out so enamored of FORM in so many different ways. The twenty-year-old poet that was me eschewed all form, especially rhyme. Now I don’t seem to be able to write without it!

Anyway . . . you are so right - your poetic style is perfect for this challenge. As I have said, I am envious. I think it is very difficult to say something meaningful in few words, though, of course, that is quite the meaning of ‘poetry’ isn’t it?

And yes, there is bit of ‘someone else’ peeking from out of some of these shorts, someone definitely on the cynical side. I don’t know if the brevity brings it on or vise-a-versa.

The upshot of it all is that I find the world interesting, words intriguing and life quite fascinating. Za vashe zdorovye the weird, wide world! Skal to the dance of words! And of course, and always . . . . . l'chaim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home