Monday, June 20, 2005

Special Father's View

A couple of years ago a Catholic friend
asked if I could write him something for Father's Day
to read to his own ailing father named 'Joseph'.

faucon
......................................

Joseph by Silence
(for Father's Day)

How you have grown, my son. So tall. So distant. Once you fit in the palm of my hand. Now the potential of your life surrounds me with fingers of strength and directions unimagined. I am but a simple man, with a carpenter's skill and even eye and trusted word. I know that you are not truly mine, but also know that my passionate heart beats within your breast and that ready companioned tear comes from me. I, not your mother of such internal beauty and strength. My humble gift - my all.

It is I who hears rustling in the leaves and know that He is there. It is I who can predict the weather in the turn of the hawk in flight. Let me show you the touch of ages in the rings of perfect wood. Then the tiny flaws that speak of life, and winter strife and man's intrusion. Which is more profound here. Look, look. The aphid milks the sweetness from the flower that the flighted bee cannot reach. See there -- it is all around us. Skip the stone across the lake my son. Immerse yourself in any boy's rightful claim to supple body and ready mind. One -- two -- three! Soon your time will come.

You will soon enough learn of the tug of will, and self and humanity. May I give you the joyful sadness of the bursting morn and the yearning hope of pulsing sunset. Today is gone in toil and honest work's special communication with the land and nature. Now is the time of spirit's birth and plan for tomorrow's useful blessing. Together we finished the bench -- it is strong and will serve well. Better still, it is but the size of two who can sit together by the fire, or serve as a saddle for an uncle's bouncing knee. Did you understand, my son? The tree was a gift. Our skill to fashion such is a gift. The love shared upon it is a gift. But the need and call to make it? No, that comes from humanity's bond - a covenant forged long ago. Given ability to choose, or special gift of hand or heart? Which will guide you, my son?

Come. Mary's table is set, I am sure.

1 Comments:

At 6:13 AM, Blogger maya said...

faucon
Each day, I look forward to coming here and reading your offerings. Joseph, beloved father, has come alive for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home