Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Memory of an Old Friend

Vi, your words sent me searching for an old friend. When I went to “Google” to look for a picture of this barn, I put in the words “Utah” and “Barn.” I was overwhelmed by the number of beautiful, sagging old friends who I actually recognized - from all over the state. The painting is not mine, I found it on the web, but it shows the barn that stands just outside of my home town. It’s side was used, long ago, as an advertizement for “Dr. Pierce’s Favorite Prescription”, hailed, as you see, as “The Woman’s Tonic.” Indeed. It was full of opium and tremendously addicting, but it handled menstrual cramps, headache and migraine, PMS and other things that were wont to be referred to in those days as “The Vapors.” Dr. Pierce’s Tonic is no more, but the ancient advert remains, repainted when it threatens to disappear in the weather. The other picture is an actual photograph. Thank you for this memory, Vi!

1 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

I'm glad my barn brought back such pleasant memories. Barns have always intriged me and are a favorite subject for photography. They all have stories to tell.
Vi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home