Saturday, May 21, 2005

The Construction of Haiku

Some brief words about
The construction of haiku
A fine short verse form

Strictly, for a verse
To be haiku, it should show
Nature or seasons

In a lightening flash
It should reveal an image
Illuminated

Using the same form
Verse based on human nature
Strictly, are senryu

Poetry teachers
Strictly, nit-picky; sometimes
Are run out of town

P.S.: Remember
Strictly, haiku and senryu
Shouldn’t ever rhyme

The best thing to do
With any kind of taboo
Is prove it untrue

Verse need not always
Conform to five, seven, five
Strict syllable count

Some poets go on
To a more organic verse
Without strict counting

Some always stay with
The strict five, seven, five count
When they write haiku

I like the strict form
Though I don’t really know why
I find it pleasing

I do love haiku
Brevity the soul of wit
Said my friend the Bard

Mostly I find them
Elegant, graceful and clean
Succinct and yet whole

Venerable freshness
Something, calm, rich and ancient
Birthed forever new


©Edwina Peterson Cross

1 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger maya said...

Winnie,

How do you do it?
I bow to you, oh master!
please do teach me more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home