Wednesday, June 22, 2005

If After the War

As a VietNam vet,
my view is different from many
on my country's current actions.

A young friend, bound for Iran, shared thoughts
with me about having a child with his bride
of only four months. I wrote a sonnet for him ...

STILL BIRTH

Come to me, little one, birth of my soul's dreaming.
We have seen, we have heard, we will find peace at last.
Daughter of Silver Moon, answer to our yearning.
Sing, join our prayer, rejoice that waiting has past.

Yet, now I must call ready halt to such plans of joy,
For fast charging knights born of bigotry and greed
Churn the blessed dust of life into clouds of agony
For to blind the ignorant to fictitious need.

My eternal life source and sense are buffeted
By external seething rancor and insolence.
Our tranquil night by vicious cries are disturbed
While vengeance goads past friends to violence.

I will not bring you forth to formless misery
All, all in the blasphemed name of humanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home