Monday, May 23, 2005

Radiant Heated Fear

Radiant heated fear
Pulsates through blooded intestines
Pressing on my sphincter
Demanding I purge
Bloated intestinal tubes

Tubes pumping, pulsating
Razor edged emotions temporarily purged
Nervously anticipating another
Spontaneous panic filled attack
Triggered by relentless, stalking, circling fear

Fear of loss, of grief
Of utter helplessness in the face of
Chronic, debilitating pain
Fear that nothing will
Appease or palliate.

Palliate or appease the pain or
the rising bitter tasting vomit
Wedged in my throat
Unrelieved by sips of water.
Desperate I consider the gate of Mount of Purgatory

Purgatory no lofty island mountain
With indifferent angel keepers guarding the door
Demanding Prudence, Temperance, Fortitude, and Justice
Bowing my head in penitence
Will not change our fate.

Fated to stand on earth
Fated to bear witness to
a multitude of injustices meted out
By the hands of capricious
Mother Nature

Well I have tried Mrs Marsh!

4 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Whoa! Was someone talking about facing fear? I’m not sure I’ve ever read anything as stark and honest. The ability to take that which IS and lay it out candid, real, unfeigned, is something beyond exceptional. There are a number of poems here today that are so acuate and well written that the poet brings the reader to stand in their shoes, see what they are seeing, feel what they are feeling, and no, they are not all joyful things or pleasant feelings. Visceral, Mrs. Marsh said. Indeed. The truth is sometimes visceral. I keep having to bow my proverbial head today to the phenomenal things that have been brought to this place. I do so again - my hat is off, my head is bowed. You have gone where I can’t imagine going, no less possess the ability to get there. You will forgive me for this, for you understand that I use it only because the words happen to be perfect: “You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" John 8:31,32.

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Thank you Heather and Winnie. I am quite touched by your words of praise.

This verse came in search of me, as Neruda would say. It arrived quite by chance and when I looked at the words that had appeared on the screen I drew in my breath and said 'Yes! I have captured my truth!'

“You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" John 8:31,32.
You could not have chosen a better quote Winnie. Blinding, unmitigated truth set us free.

Heather Blakey

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Fran said...

To know fear and to be able to share the images is too make a poem that understands. Fran

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I suspect Faulcon that the poet, singer of songs, teller of tales has tools, at their disposal, which make it possible for them to candidly lay down truth. It is the pain which sharpens our awareness of our mortality and heightens our understanding of the palliative quality of love. Love palliates.
cheers
Heather Blakey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home