Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Mommy's Girl

A reflection of Lisa’s poem “Daddy’s Girl.” I can’t speak for Daddy’s - I’ve never been one. My thought is that the outcome is probably very similar. I answer that thought, from where I live:


Mommy’s Angel Girl
And this world weary woman
Are one in the same
A flawed and precious human

I have always known
Through the calm and through the storm
That, ever changing
You would transpose and transform

I’ll give you this truth
You’re so much more than an ideal
Nothing you could do
Would change the way that I feel

As you alter, grow
A spirit transitional
Always remember:
This love is unconditional

Let me dry your tears
And we’ll wash your dress and face
Come and rest your head
In this soft and warm embrace

I was once young too
And I wasn’t always smart
I stumbled and fell
And my mistakes broke my heart

But I have learned much
On the road to being ‘mother’
I forgave myself
Now we’ll forgive each other

We can mend your wings
Replace each broken feather
There’s nothing at all
That we can’t do together

I don’t know everything
But I know this much is true
Nothing on this earth’s
As strong as my love for you


©Edwina Peterson Cross

1 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

And your mother is blessed in you ~ and the fact that you can see her as a person and love her that way as well. Send these words you've shared with us to your mother, will you? She needs to hear them too.

Do you know the song "In My Daughter's Eyes" by James Slater? Martina McBride sings it. I have to turn it off if it comes on the radio while I'm driving because it never fails to make me cry.

In my daughter's eyes I am a hero
I am strong and wise and I know no fear
But the truth is plain to see
She was sent to rescue me
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home