Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Mommy's Son

My Mother has been the cause and inspiration of many of my writings.
For her last birthday my niece solicited stories and poems about her
to include in a large scrapbook affair. I had 17 pieces to contribute
to blend with about 80 more from my 6 siblings and 12 grandchildren.
This was original for the book.

faucon
.................................................

OTHER MOTHER

It is easy to remember -- to be again -- know my mother;

as a mother -- close by
tears -- hope -- a message gentle,

as a friend -- now medium far
quiet chats -- faith reborn -- she listens still.

as a person -- there's the wonder
still a girl -- hummm…

I can reconstruct the moment -- beyond recalling,
more than a childish whim or mem'ried diffusion
of jumbled thoughts and storybook illusions --
I was there, after all.

Lake Tahoe -- summer days -- 1953;
wood cabins -- jays and chipmunks,
Mt. Talac snow cross -- stories on the beach,
three kids -- one mom -- wait an hour,
don't run -- water clear -- so clear,
sigh! Mother was just there --
which was right.

Morning walks up the mountains -- often;
old deep trails -- new long needled pathways,
giant granite boulders -- hidden springs,
flickering sunlight -- swaying ferns,
just fun and play and toss and tumble --
then I noticed her -- the girl.

She sat atop a rock alone -- content that we were safe;
hair let down -- the brush was there beside'
shorts -- blouse ends tied across her waist,
sandals tossed aside -- one slipping to the ground,
humming -- no singing low -- Steven Foster --
she was doing her nails.

For the first time I saw her as a person;
not a mother or a woman or a teacher or --
where had she been -- why hadn't I seen,
this young person alive -- dreaming -- just there,
content to be just a person -- just once again,
but still only my mother.

3 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is beautiful faucon - lovely memories, especially the knowing of that moment when you first knew your mother as a person and found you loved the person too.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

(I walk into) “my mother's house, and into the room of her who conceived me” Solomon’s Song

When I write about my Mother’s house, my Mother’s room, my Mother
I don’t write of her sensual sexuality or
the primordial union she shared with my Father.
I don’t write of the lust, the tender passion that
Propelled sperm, like a heat missile
into her uterus
seeking the egg that would become ME

"For the first time I saw her as a person; not a mother or a woman or a teacher..." As a mother, a woman, a teacher the greatest joy would be for my son to see me, before else as a person who lived and loved.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Fran said...

I too would wish my children to see me young and too lament that I had known my mother so much longer as mother, widow, confessor, mentor than as the young wife who called my father, "lover" as he did her.

Faucon, I thank you for bringing this and Heather, I hope you make a poem of this for your mother and for your daughter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home